Why Should I Have a Blog for Business?
A blog is a great tool to build relationships and increase the profile and reach for your business. Here are some of the key reasons why you should blog for business:
- Add value to your current customers and potential customers.
- If you write in a succinct, professional and engaging manner, you have the opportunity to meet the needs or solve the problems that your product or service provides.
- Establish your credibility as a content or knowledge expert in your industry or product category.
- Connect far more regularly with your customers than email or telephone.
- Use your blog posts to provide content for your e-newsletter and direct traffic from your monthly update to your website.
- Write topics that people are searching for to increase traffic to your website.
- Tell the story of your business and showcase your achievements.
- Highlight or promote your partnerships or relationships with other businesses in a non-promotional way.
How Does a Blog Contribute to our Web Presence?
- A blog turns a static brochure style website into a dynamic place for people to discover and explore your business and understand how you can add value to them.
- Blogs increase web traffic and can be as effective as paid Google Adwords (if done correctly) for search engine optimisation (SEO).
- Blogging provides fresh and timely content that builds credibility and makes your website more interesting.
Top Tips for a Quality Blog for Business
- You will already have a lot of content in your business that can be re-purposed for a blog.
- Always ask ‘How does this add value’ NOT ‘How does this promote my business’. The focus has to be on adding value as that is what people search for. If you add value to others, it will put you at the front of people’s mind when they are looking for your product or service.
- Good quality, well written articles are far more important than posting poor quality content more regularly. Don’t outsource your blog writing to a cheap service or stuff your articles with keywords just to try and get SEO benefit. Write quality and add value and it will bring quality, valuable customers or clients.
- Schedule 1 hour per week where you write your blog post. If you write more than one in an hour, then you are ahead. Set the time aside, or it will always drop to the bottom of your priorities.
- Find 10 topics that you can talk about in your business and write 10 headlines for each topic. Then you have a list of 100 blog posts that you can write about and it will make your weekly task of writing easier to plan for.
- Look at whether you have other staff, suppliers or even customers who can write content for you. Sometimes if you share the load, it can give you more frequent content, or stretch your resources further.