It’s finally here! The Facebook Timeline for personal profiles has arrived in Australia…..and the rest of the world.
Some of us social media geeks jumped in early and got the timeline…..and we love it! But for everyone else who has patiently waited, your time has come.
Here are some things you need to know:
Once the timeline is launched on your profile, you will have a 7 Day Review Period before your timeline goes live to the world. There are a couple of things you want to do during that period:
1. Get the Timeline! You can either wait for the notification to pop up telling you you’ve got it or you can go to the Introducing Timeline page and click “Get Timeline.”
2. Choose a funky Timeline cover. You can get some great free images here. The image needs to be 854 pixels wide x 323 pixels high. Don’t worry, Facebook helps you crop a photo, so it isn’t too tricky. So either use a pic already in your Facebook albums, upload a new one from your computer or search for one on the net that doesn’t have copyright restrictions.
3. Show off or kill off stories (posts): in the new timeline you have the option to showoff particular posts, by making them a favourite. This increases the size (to 2 columns) and makes it a feature, or you can hide particular stories from your timeline. Remember that you can also customise which friends see your post using the drop down menu and choosing the appropriate group or list:
4. Tailor your ads: You are now able to hide ads you don’t want to see or hide all ads from a specific advertiser. If an ad comes up you don’t want to see, hover over the x and select ‘Hide ad’ or ‘Hide all adds from’. For example, I fail to see how Mochi Ice Cream can help me lose 17 kilos!
5. Poke away: My wonderful god mother continuously ‘Pokes’ me on Facebook. An endearing little trait:) I’m not sure whether I’ll tell her where they’ve hidden the ‘Poke’ feature, but I’ll tell you in case you too love to use it! You now have to go to the friends page that you wish to poke and on the left hand side, click the little cog and poke away!
6. Final Review: You can see how your profile will look to various people you are connected with, by selecting the View As option. You can see select the option to view your profile as the public, or as a particular friend:
7. Publish: once you’ve reviewed all your content and you’re happy with it, you can publish your timeline for the world to see! Your old profile will be a thing of the past and your new timeline will tell the story of your life (as much as you choose to share!). Just click ‘Publish Now’.
What do you think of the new timeline? Love it? Loathe it?